Peace Crane by Hilary Taylor

Peace Crane by Hilary Taylor
Picture by Justin Wyatt
To read Hilary's story buy this special book...

This magical story has a touch of the supernatural. When an injured crane is found and nursed, something happens, something magical and inspiring...

Gentle Footprints launched- AS SEEN ON TV

Gentle Footprints was officially launched Fri June 4th at the Hay Festival with guest speaker Virginia McKenna and some of the authors


Buy from Bridge House Publishing by clicking on the link BUY:

BUY





Virginia McKenna at Hay Launch

Virginia McKenna at Hay Launch

Animal Anthology To Raise Funds for Born Free

Bridge House Publishing announce new book coming Spring 2010. For more about Bridge House please see their website.
This book is the annual charity book for Born Free...if you want to get involved with promoting and selling this book- email me!

www.bridgehousepublishing.co.uk


Visit the Born Free Website to find out more about their valuable work...

Visit the Born Free Website to find out more about their valuable work...
KEEP WILDLIFE IN THE WILD

Monday 8 February 2010

The Lion in Literature and Film

Literature is rich in lions, from the lions of Daniel and Samson to the cowardly lion in ‘The Wizard of Oz’. The lion is found in many of Aesop’s fables, and the ancient tale of Androcles and the lion is about a gratetful lion who had a thorn removed from his paw.

One of the most famous lions in literature is Aslan from ‘The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe’. Although Lewis intended to put forward a strong Christian message, (though he apparently didn’t agree it was an allegory on the story of Christ), it stands alone as a wondeful tale that transported myself and thousands of other children to the magical land of Narnia. I remember been distraught and shocked at the death of Aslan, and immensly relieved by his return. I really believed another world was was possible, even to the extent that I checked the back of my wardrobe for snow!

The Disney film The Lion King 1994 is still one of the most popular stories for children. It has since become a successful musical on Broadway and in the West End.
Again the lion is represented as courageous as well as determined brave, and a force for justice. Perhaps that’s why it’s so popular – we all need our heroes.















The 1966 film Born Free has touched many of our lives also. I saw this in a small cinema in Chesterfield when I was very young. It had a large impact on me, not least because it was on the big screen and in colour! We had a TV but obviously black and white, so to see the sights, sounds, and lions of Africa was a huge treat for a youngster. The soundtrack sung by Matt Monro was a hit and is still evocative when heard today. I so excited that the star of the movie Virginia McKenna will be at the Hay-on-Wye book launch in June!


Click this link to see a clip from the film: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3216703769/
Click here to hear Matt Monro singing Born Free against a backdrop of lion pictures: http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/pacific2000-194337-born-free-nature-wildlife-lions-africa-music-bornfree-mattmonro-travel-places-ppt-powerpoint/
Lion quotes
As I mentioned in an earlier post the lion is part of our national and wider culture. We often use phrases in everyday life without thinking about it. For example, the lion’s share, into the lion’s den and lion hearted. I found a few lion quotes from famous people also.
“I was the shyest human ever invented, but I had a lion inside me that wouldn’t shut up!” Ingrid Bergman
“The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion.” William Blake
“I am impelled, not to squeak like a grateful and apologetic mouse,but to roar like a lion out of pride in my profession.” John Steinbeck
“I may not be a lion, but I am lion’s cub, and I have a lion’s heart.”
Queen Elizabeth I
“I was not the lion, but it fell to me to give the lion’s roar.” Winston Churchill
Tomorrow check back here for lion facts!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Never thought about any of these things- real food for thought!

    Good job!

    Debz :)

    ReplyDelete